US Senator urges US government to ban Huawei
On July 29, according to foreign media reports, on Wednesday local time, two U.S. senators said they were proposing a measure to prohibit the funds in the $1.9 trillion government subsidy measures from purchasing telecommunications equipment from Huawei, ZTE and other Chinese companies regarded as U.S. security threats.
U.S. Republican Senator Tom cotton and Democratic Senator Mark Warner said that the funds approved in the law called the American rescue plan in March this year should not be used to potentially damage U.S. telecommunications networks.
Warner said: “because the U.S. rescue plan provides huge funds, all states across the country are developing plans to build high-quality and affordable high-speed Internet. We must ensure that no community will be threatened by network security.” “The U.S. government must take strong action to exclude threats from our networks,” coton said. Americans deserve reliable and secure telecommunications technology. ”
Earlier this month, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) unanimously voted to finalize a $1.9 billion plan to compensate U.S. rural operators who remove telecommunications equipment from their networks from Chinese companies such as Huawei and ZTE.
Last year, the FCC listed Huawei and ZTE as national security threats to U.S. communication networks, which means that U.S. companies will be prohibited from using U.S. government funds to buy equipment from the two companies. Last December, the FCC passed a regulation requiring operators using ZTE or Huawei equipment to “replace” these equipment.
FCC estimated in September 2020 that it would cost US $1.837 billion to remove and replace Huawei and ZTE equipment from the network.